Smart Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need some Serious Guidance
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:56 am 

Hello: I am considering a 2015 Smart EV ($6K purchase price with 23K miles) and I need some input on a few things. I plan to use for San Francisco local city driving and on my 20 minute commute each way, 5 days a week. My other choice is to buy a gas Smart Car, or a Scion iQ. 1) Should I buy an extended warranty? (CNA is the underwriter) 2) I read that the EV is a real dog on the freeway. Is this true? 3) In general, is the Smart Car a good quality car? Thanks, Wayne

Post subject: Re: Need some Serious Guidance
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:51 am 

I purchased a 2013 ED Smart about 3 months ago and love it. I use it for a 15km (one way) commute each day, but have gone on plenty of longer trips, and have also taken it on the highway.
On the highway I've set the cruise to an indicated 130km/h and the car seemed quite happy there.

My parents have a 2005 diesel Smart which they have owned since new and I have found they have generally had a very good experience with build quality. I can't say too much yet about mine as I have only owned it for a few months, but I do appreciate the car for what it is.

As for the extended warranty: I purchased my vehicle through a dealer who forgot to mention that there was an option for me to purchase an extended warranty. I didn't know about this until they called me back to let me know that they had added the warranty on, and that they paid for it (apparently over $2,000 CAD). This definitely adds huge piece of mind, but I had purchased the car even without the extended warranty, so I think it comes down to what you want to spend and whether you feel like what you're getting for your money is worth it.

Hope this helps!