Smart Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie charging questions (2014 Smart EV coupe)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 am 

I just brought home a 2014 Smart electric drive coupe. This is my first electric vehicle, so please bear with me as I ask stupid questions...

I plugged it into my 110V outlet in the garage. I also have 220V outlets, but the receptacles are not 3-phase 4-prong so I need to have one installed for my Juicebox Pro 40 to connect. In the meantime, I'm using this Level 1 charge. First time I charged it I didn't adjust the charge rate, and at the 2 light setting the charge cycle took... oh... 20 hours to charge to get to almost full. Later I found the button to increase the charge rate and set it to maximum. It's charging now, and I'm hoping it gets to maximum in a more reasonable amount of time.

Here are my questions...

1) Does the car stop charging when it's full? I can't find any mention of this.

2) I don't have navigation or bluetooth in this model, so I assume that means I can't use any apps to manage charging. Is that right?

3) How does one check the charge level while it's charging if you don't have the app? I tried turning the ignition key to the 1st position while the charger was plugged in, and the car made a loud noise so I think I better not do that again.

4) When I first plug the charging cable into the car, it tells me "->3.5 H" which makes me think it will charge in 3.5 hours. When I checked it 3.5 hours later using the ignition key method that I don't want to do anymore, I saw "->5.5 H." That makes no sense to me. I can't find any mention of this readout in the manual. What does that number followed by "H" actually mean?

Post subject: Re: newbie charging questions (2014 Smart EV coupe)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:15 pm 

I can answer one of my own questions...

1) It does indeed stop charging when full. I didn't see this the first time because for some reason it was taking way longer than I expected, but this time the charge was done sooner and all the lights on the charger were static.

Still not sure about 2-4.

Post subject: Re: newbie charging questions (2014 Smart EV coupe)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm 

In the manual I finally found mention of the item in #4. It does appear to be time remaining. It's just not showing what I expect. When I connected the Level 1 charging cable the display read "3.5 H." That's not right at all. I let the car charge 3.5 hours and checked it again, and the display read "5.5 H." So not sure what's going on there.