Smart Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying new or used in Toronto, Ontario?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:46 pm 

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a Smart Fortwo ED. I have done some initial research on the web. Based on that, I find that there is no significant difference in the price of a new and a used one (when you consider the incentive).

1. Is this correct? If yes, why would one buy a used one?
2. Is the incentive $13,000 as per http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicl ... html#smart?
3. How do I figure out the differences between the cars of different model years?
4. What are the advantages of leasing as opposed to buying?
5. What about the difference in warranty between used and new ones (especially for the battery)?
6. Is it true that both the 2017 and the 2018 models use light bulbs as opposed to LEDs? If yes, can they be replaced easily when they burn out? Or can they be replaced by LEDs?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice and thoughts!

Gabor

Post subject: Re: Buying new or used in Toronto, Ontario?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:26 am 

Hi. I'm from Hamilton, and I just leased a 2017 from Mercedes of Burlington. These are my thoughts...

Answers to your questions:

1. I don't believe there are any 453 (2017) Electric Drives on the used market.

2. The incentive is 13,000.

3. The current model is the most modern, and is on the brand new 453 platform. Get this one.

4. I was originally going to purchase finance, but ended up leasing. There was a hiccup though, mostly because of dealer incompetence, and misinformation about their own product. I wanted to purchase finance the car and was offered 0% financing. I was told 0$ down. After I was approved, I was then told that I'd have to put 13K down, as I would only be financed for the amount of the car, minus the rebate. Mercedes told me I had to apply for the rebate (incentive) on my own. Well, that was BS. I did some research and found the form to apply for the incentive. On that form, there is a section to authorize the incentive to be paid to the dealer. Easy peasy. I then called Mercedes Mississauga, a corporate store. A very knowledgable sales person, named Sabrina (I can forward her contact info) explained to me the way purchase financing the car SHOULD work: Mercedes finances the entire cost of the vehicle. You then sign the rebate back to them. When they receive the rebate, they make the adjustment to your financing. Shouldn't take more than a month.

By the time I was armed with this information, Mercedes of Burlington (a privately owned dealership) had offered me a 45 month lease at 1.9%. In their words to "get around the rebate thing". Upon doing the math, IF I wanted to buy out the car at the end of the lease term, the total cost of the car would be about 1500$ more than having purchase financed the car at 0%. IMO this was a good deal because in 45 months, I have an "out". Given the uncertainty of the EV market, and the transient nature of our governments incentive programs, I felt like the nominal premium to have an out in 45 months was worth it. YMMV, lol.

5. Warranty on entire vehicle is 4 year 80k kms. Battery warranty is 8 year. Not sure of the mileage though. It's almost irrelevant, should you decide to lease.

6. My 2017 has the "LED lighting package", however this only specifies LED eyebrows for the DRL's. The actual headlights, are conventional halogens like any other car. Makes no sense to me.

All in all, I've had the car for 2 days, and it fits our needs perfectly. My wife commutes 6km's to work one way and was driving a 2009 Pontiac G8 GT with a 6.0 V-8 and 400 horsepower. We were putting about 350 bucks a month in premium fuel into that car. This Smart is basically paid for with fuel savings. And it's super fun to drive!

Post subject: Re: Buying new or used in Toronto, Ontario?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:41 pm 

Hello MaxPower,

Thank you very much for the very informative response! And enjoy your new car! :)

It's a mystery to me too that they do not use LEDs...

I am in Toronto and I didn't find any ForTwo Electric Drive here. I was told on the phone that realistically it would be available in June. That's a long wait! How long did you have to wait? Do you have the impression that the wait time might be shorter in Mississauga or Burlington?

Thanks again and best regards,

Gabor