Smart Electric Drive Forum

It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: under coating
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:12 pm 

Just got a note re under coating the SmartED .....I live in Ontario Canada, where we use lots of salt on the roads during winter...I "Rust Check " my other car, to protect from the corrosion....
I thought some of you might be interested....I'm considering doing the same with my EV...

Dear Mr. Wall:

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Please note that all Mercedes-Benz Canadian specific vehicles are sprayed with an undercoating treatment during the manufacturing process. Nevertheless, if the vehicle will be exposed to extreme weather conditions, excessive salt exposure and humidity, then you may choose to have supplementary vehicle protection applied.

Please note that the oil spray is a chemical based substance that will warp certain rubber seals and mounts. You should therefore avoid all rubber components if you choose to go with the oil spray, and avoid the use of products that tend to set up to a hardened state after a period of time. As such, a wax coating would be a more effective product to use instead of the oil spray.

The scope of the rust proofing protection should be limited to the underbody of the vehicle including suspension components but should exclude all rubber parts. It is not necessary to spray in the body cavities or the inside of doors. It is strongly advised that holes must not be drilled in any part of the vehicle for the purpose of introducing rust proofing protection. Quality products have a corrosion inhibitor included as an active ingredient.

Kind regards,

Frédéric
Customer Relations
Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc.
smart Canada Division